Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some questions that are frequently asked of our IDP consultants in their first family meeting as well as those in our parent groups. Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have further questions.

Who is the program for?

Children aged birth to three years who are experiencing delays in their development or who are at risk for developmental delay are eligible for the Infant Development Program. Participation in the program is voluntary and confidential.

What kinds of problems you help my child with?

We help families with a range of concerns. Some common reasons for referral: premature birth, developmental delays (gross motor, fine motor, language, social skills, play skills), behavioural issues, feeding and sleep challenges, identified conditions (e.g. Down Syndrome), or potential developmental issues (e.g. you suspect your child has Autism).

Who can make a referral?

Referrals may come from any source – parents, physicians, community health nurses, social workers, therapists, etc.

What do IDP Consultants do?

IDP Consultants provide a variety of services including home visits to encourage your child’s progress through play-based activities, assistance in understanding and responding to your child’s needs, education in typical and atypical development & disabilities, screening tools such as questionnaires and developmental assessments to determine your child’s strengths and more.

What is my role as the parent?

Parents know their child best, and have an important role in directing decisions regarding services or programs for their child. Infant Development Consultants encourage parents’ active participation in their child’s services at whatever level seems appropriate and to whatever degree the parent wishes to be involved. Parents also have a role in evaluating the Infant Development Program, by completing satisfaction surveys which are sent to families every year.

Is there a cost?

No. There is no cost to the family for the Infant Development Program, we are a program within the Burnaby Association for Community Inclusion, a non profit agency funded by The Ministry of Children and family Services and donations.

What if I do not speak English?

The consultant will bring in an interpreter to assist with a language barrier.

Have your own Question? Use the form below:

Error: Contact form not found.